View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-19-02, 09:58

Plan: Carbohydrate Addict
Stats: 170/159/140
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Zoloft induced weight gain

Meigg, I'm not sure about the meds you are on. But last year I went on Ativan (sp?) then to Zoloft . . . and in something slightly less than 1 year I gained 24 lbs.

While weight gain is not a listed side effect of Zoloft I emailed the pharmacist at Walgreens and he confirmed that it is a VERY common complaint. While less people complain of weight gain on Wellbutran, according to the pharmacist, I have had friends tell me of friends on anti-depressants and it continues to be the same story . . . . weight gain.

I always struggled w/my mood and sporadic depression. I wasn't at all surprised when I got my medical history a couple years ago (I was adopted and never had that info) . . . depression & alcoholism runs on both sides of my biological family, so severe that my birth father's father commit suicide in his 30s.

While other compounding issues finally drove me over the edge, requiring the drugs last year, I now know that I have a chemical imbalance that I need to monitor and try to control. I have been talking w/my doctor, my counselor, and the nurses about controlling it myself. Proper amounts of sleep, exercise, and well-balanced meals all help in battling depression. So I have weened myself off the Zoloft in the last couple months and am starting to lose the weight.

My heart goes out to you, because I know how I felt/feel . . . something that is supposed to make you all better is causing you to feel worse about yourself. If you don't like your doctor's answer, call a different one, ask the nurses, or email the pharmacist at Walgreens.com and see what they have to say. You can also research the drug info online, you can start at Yahoo and do a search . . . there is a Yahoo Drug Info where you can type in the name of the drug and pull up some info.

Good luck to you. I've been there and I hope I don't have to return. Hang in there.