#7   ^
Old Sat, May-18-02, 06:18
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Sometimes

a hypoglycemic sufferer can have a low blood sugar episode that necessitates getting their sugar up fast. They can go into shock if their sugar drops low enough. If this happens, it is necessary to give them something sweet to get their sugar up in a hurry.

I agree that they should avoid sugar....I am talking an emergency situation here! If a hypoglycemic is going into a shock situation they are usually shakey, cold and clammy and disoriented. This is also accompanied by nausea in many cases. If this happens, their sugar has to be gotten up and sugar...preferably orange juice if they can swallow will accomplish this. I have run into situations where they can't even swallow well enough to drink orange juice. That is when you can coat their lips with cake icing and have them lick their lips. That is why I suggested having the tube of cake icing or something similar. After they begin to recover, they should then be given a protein, such as peanut butter to keep their blood sugar level and eat more protein as soon as they feel able .
I agree that a low carb diet is the best solution to hypoglycemia. If they follow this type of diet, the quick rises and drops in blood sugar can usually be avoided. I am sorry if I caused confusion. I do not think hypoglycemics should eat sugar! I was talking about an emergency situation, not eating cake icing as part of their diet.