View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 17:59

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree with Teri...

Hypoglycemics don't need fast acting carbs if they are eating correctly. Fast acting carbs start a vicious circle: you eat the carbs, your blood sugar goes up, the pancreas produces too much insulin in response, the blood sugar then drops too low and you feel the need physically for more carbs to raise the blood sugar again which starts the cycle all over again. The idea is to stabilize your blood sugar and keep it that way (no wild swings from sugar or high carb foods) and to eat frequent small meals to prevent blood sugar drops. Many people don't know that hypoglycemia, if left untreated, can lead to diabetes later because the beta cells in the pancreas burn out from overproducing insulin. Sugar and fast acting carbs are absolute no-no's for diabetics as well as hypoglycemics. A low carb weight loss WOE this person doesn't need from what you described, but he can go on the maintainance form of the Atkins diet. Carbs between 60 and 100 grams a day obtained mainly from veggies and low glycemic fruits such as melons and berries. When carbs are consumed, they should be balanced with a protein to prevent a strong insulin response with a resulting drop in blood sugar. I'd suggest leaving out the high carb (raisins and dried fruits or any type of fruit juice) and high sugar items (tube of frosting) and perhaps adding some strawberries. Nuts and seeds are fine as would be the Wasa crackers. Does he like cream cheese? How about sugar free peanut butter? Whole grain breads might be good in moderation or maybe some stir-fry veggies with a package of chicken. It occurs to me that Schwarzbein might be a good plan for him to follow. Hope this helps!