View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 04:07

Plan: Atkins KISS
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Questions on Questran and low carb

ANYONE WITH EXPERIENCES OR EXPERTISE OR ANSWERS?

What are the ramifications for this in low carbing while on questran/weightloss?

I currently started taking Prevalite (Questran lite). I had my gallbladder removed and have too much bile in my system/causing problems. I have many concerns questions about this taking this medication----------------------------------
How can I prevent deplation of vitamins A D E & K? Is taking a multi vitamin enough?

Should I take calclium – citrate +D, if I get constipated will this help with that?

If I get constipated, what should I do? Just increase fiber or take a laxative? Which laxative?

Does it make all bile acids inactive or just some? Am I absorbing any fat at all?
If not, why wouldn’t this lead to weightloss?

If I am not absorbing fat/or as much fat, shouldn’t my appetite increase?
Why would appetite decrease?

If it binds bile acids then wouldn’t that mean more fat undigested = diahrea or ?

An increase in bile acids in the system creates itching/stinging (in my crotch area) or “pins and needles” feeling wherever I get warm (crotch if sitting a long while for example). Why is this? Is the trick just to take cool baths if needed? Why does moisturizer stop the sensation? Why does powder help (keeps skin cool?). This sensation stops when taking this medication – does it do so because there is less bile in my system? Yet taking a hot shower does not cause this – is it the warmth and moisture/perspiration that cause the blood to come to this area and create the sensation?
I also find that certain underwear materials must be avoided – I can only wear breathable types of underwear or I get stinging. Moisturizer and powder seem to stop/prevent this. Should I continue with the moisturizer and powder even if this medication stops the stinging?

I read that taking this medication can interfere with other medications. Do those include vitamins, acidophilus and calcium?

If I eat lots of extra fat, can I eat more than the medication will prevent absorbtion and in doing so make sure that I do absorb some fats? Would a higher or very high fat diet help?

Would eating something natural like olive oil help any constipation (instead of bloating Metamucil?).

What happens if I take Metamucil while taking this drug?

Do people gain weight on this medication because they feel they can eat “anything” now and do? Or do they gain because they eat more food over all (primarily carbohydrates) due to the fact that fat does not make them feel full? Will fat make me feel full if it is not absorbed as well?

Is prevalite an insoluable fiber? If so, that would explain the gassiness – but it does not explain the constipation. What causes the constipation? I read that constipation is most likely a side effect in the elderly – is that because they don’t drink enough water? I drink lots and lots of water. Is there a chance I won’t be constipated on this medication?

Some artificial sweeteners, like malitol can resolve constipation (sugar alcohol) – I may have ibs and normally avoid sweeteners like these. Should I continue to avoid these sweeteners or eat them as a pleasant way to solve the constipation?

If Questran blocks the absorbtion of fat - is it possible that an Atkins diet would then become a non-fat/lowfat Atkins diet while on questran WHILE eating lots of fat???

Thanks.
Sponsored Links