View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 09:58

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%

DEWTAL SAID:*I think the thing to remember is that the carby stuff that Schwarzbein wants us to count are those that would make our insulin rise. Which to me means being careful of the fruit*

Thanks for the responses! Well, actually, it's not the fruit that I was eating too much of. I actually was being pretty right on with the portions of the "obvious carbs" but seemed to get into trouble where the "hidden carbs" are concerned.

Case in point: Say I have my 15 grams of carbs in the way of strawberries for a sweet treat after a dinner meal. But during that meal, I also had about 1/2- to 3/4-cup heavy cream between the gorgonzola cream sauce and the whipped cream OR homemade ice cream, not to mention the splash of wine in the sauce (although it'c cooked down, sugar remains, right?), as well as all the non starchy veggies I am eating in my salad and possible cooked veggies--which all add carbs to the mix.

My concern is that, as Dr. S states in her book somewhere, if we are getting enough non starchy veggies, we may not need the addition of our carb allowance. I certainly wouldn't want to stop eating my salads just so I could have a few strawberries, if you get my drift.

I suppose when I get the rest of this weight off and only need maintain a steady, healthy weight, I won't even think about this stuff, but until I actually rid myself of this gigantic stomach of mine, I think I need to pay close attention to those hidden carbs. But not to the point where I focus on that and get obsessive about it, right?

Long winded again, sorry. It's just that I have hit several "plateaus" now in only just over 3-months on SP and I think I can attribute it to my occassional splurge or my turning the other way when extra carbs creep onto my plate.

Maybe I am wrong, I don't know. But I'll try being very cautious for a a few weeks now and see what happens. Astill, anymore input is greatly appreciated. --TheBetty