View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 10:20

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Lightbulb Oh My, Hidden Carbs!

Duh! Hidden carbs may be a problem for me and I didn't even know it.

I posted this to my journal, too, but I thought it may be a good topic for discussion.

I was surfing the net yesterday and read something that mentioned the amount of carbs in heavy cream--and this is something that I have realized before with other food items but never paid much attention to it. While there are zero carbs in a serving size of heavy cream, there are about 6.5 carbs in one-cup! When you are only alloewd 15 grams of carbs per meal, using 3 of them on cream can put ya over the top.

A few grams here, a few grams there--I've probably been eating a lot more carbs than I realized (or cared to realize). I make sauces with cream with many meat dishes, including the over-sauced roasted chicken that hubby and I love so dearly.

Then, there's the "free" ice cream, add another 3-4 carbs per serving of that and I've blown half my allotment for the meal.

Me thinks I need to rethink the freebies and start measuring quantities again. It's been since early Feb since I started this WOL, and I surmise it's about time I had a refresher course.

So, starting this morning, I am paying close attention to what I put into my mouth, even if it's a freebie (like the good fat, heavy cream).

Ever notice how hard it is to measure whole strawberries? It's because they leave so much air in between each berry in that measuring cup. Oh no ya don't! No cutting them up first to make them fit better--that will add many carbs onto your total. But may I please be creative--even artistic--in my stuffing of the berries into the little cup? Alternating the points so they go together like a dove-tailed drawer in a quality piece of furntiure?

And what of that white wine used for cooking? Has my 1/2 cup splash turned into a 3/4 cup sugar fest? Me thinks it has!

So, it's back to basics for this fat chick (and I use that term affectionately--I am okay with the word fat, I've been this way many years). I'm keeping the measuring cups handy, right atop the counters where I will use them.

Back to counting almonds and measuring cashews.

Back to including the cream I put into my tea--even tho Dr. S says not to worry about fats, I believe I'm eating an excess of cream which contains carbs, unlike the rest of the fats. Oh sure, I could eat all the olive oil I want, but my almond tea just wouldn't taste the same.

I think for me, being careful at all meals and snacks will be very helpful in returning to a more steady weight loss, but at dinner time, I am not going to worry about having 2 or 3 more carbs because they help me to sleep much, much better.

Anyone else find any hidden carbs in their meals?

Have a great day. --TheBetty
Sponsored Links