View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-11-02, 14:30

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Intersting point, Sunni.

I think a lot people gorge themselves on foods that were "forbidden" as they were growing up because of what they may or may not associate with that particular food or type of food. Or perhaps because of rebellion against the reason that they were denied a particular food. If you associate a type of food with comfort (hence the term "comfort food"), you will want that type of food when you are feeling in need of comfort. I know that this is sneaky, but I recently told one of my daughters that I believe that she may be allergic to sugar. That may be stretching the truth a bit, but she certainly has a sensitivity to it judging by her behavior when she eats it. Since she has other allergies, this made sense to her and hopefully it will help her make better choices when I'm not around to supervise what she eats. It may also help other people respect her boundaries when she tells them "no, thank you, I can't eat that" and not insist that a little won't hurt. I have yet to see an adult insist that a child eat nuts once they were told the child was allergic to them. I also believe that if we teach our kids to eat properly and also explain to them why it's important or why they must eat a certain way, they are a lot more likely to comply with it when you are not around. Instead of just telling them to do it, explain why. Kids also tend to follow the example that they are shown. If you model good eating habits, they are a lot more likely to follow them than if you tell them one thing and do something else.