View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-10-02, 12:59
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

RAZ, You are so wise. What good advice you've given me today! Thanks again!

I was just reading some more Adiposity 101....should be required reading for all on this board .... anyway, i read with interest that:

"A number of anectdotal reports have appeared claiming that Nutrasweet consumption interferes with weight loss. Diet beverages are a major vehicle for Nutrasweet consumption. Almost all diet sodas contain citric acid which has been shown to interfere with ketosis."....and.... "Large numbers of dieters have reported difficulties in sustatining urinary ketones after consumption of dietetic beverages, such as diet cola, or slices of lemon in water . These difficulties disappear when beverage intake becomes restricted to black coffee, black tea, or water. Although present only in small amounts, citric acid might be the offending substance because of the known ability of citrate to control carbohydrate metabolism at the subcellular level. Single-blind trials of citric acid added to drinking water indicated many were particulary sensitive to the citrate. 40-50% of people on ketogenic diets are sensitive to citric acid ; they cannot tolerate the diet under these conditions. If difficulties arise, the only solution is to avoid fruits and beverages which contain citric acid, including most popular diet beverages. No test exists for this sensitivity."

I am surprised that I haven't seen this mentioned on this board before!? Granted, it would be difficult to avoid citric acid altogether, but this tidbit seems significant.... especially to those trying to break a stall!