#3   ^
Old Wed, May-08-02, 13:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Default Vacation Mindset

Going on Vacation with your eyes open in regard to lapsing is a good idea as long as you understand the hazards. When I plan on an "indulgence" on vacation I always make a very strict deal with myself. I have to spurge on something that I cannot possibly make at home, and it has to be of a quality to be world renown. If I order something that fits this criteria and find out that it is less than spectacular I stop at the initial bite and pass it on to a less discriminating palate. If any of my "eat anything " friends is not around I just tell the waiter that I only wanted a taste and that I'm quite finished with it, thank you.

I reinforce this by staying on an induction level throughout the trip. Actually it ends up to be more than induction because it is pretty hard to avoid hidden sugars and starches. But that is life on the road. It is very easy to have carbo creep during vacation. An overall strict approach tends to work well. It is also important to eat regularly. Your willpower diminishes with dehydration and hunger. Pack some low carb bars and munch on them throughout the day. A hip pack with a water-bottle holder is also a good idea.

Your friends are your enemy! Keep them well fed and watered as well, and you stand a greater chance of not getting pulled into that Pasta Bar when everyone realizes they are dying of hunger, and it is the only thing in site. Being in a strange place makes it hard to plan ahead. Even if you have all decided to go to a well known (and protein friendly) restaurant, you may find yourself miles away at meal time. Plan B is usually a high carb one....murphy's law.

Good Luck

Colin