View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 13:58

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 305/285/130 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 11%
Unhappy Nevermind...

I know I don't have all the answers, but I didn't say "let's load em up on sugar now so they won't later". I said if you take away "all" treats then they "may" rebel when they are older and have plenty of access to it or when you are not around to stop them. I do not believe in giving food as a reward.. or denying food as punishment.. this is how many people start out with food issues that plague them for the rest of their lives. The difference between eating poorly and smoking pot or drinking booze should be obvious, while they are equally bad for you... eating food (even junk) is totally acceptable and even expected by peers. Heck, even the mothers of friends may serve pizza or cookies and milk at a sleepover.

Also most kids go thru a phase where they want to be "the same" as everyone else.. unless our society changes drastically, it will be "normal" for other kids to get candy at holidays, eat junk at Mcdonald's, go on dates at pizza joints, etc. I am *not* saying to just let them have all the junk. I am not even sure of the best answer for us will be yet (I have a toddler), but I am trying to keep in mind that while they are not actually being deprived that doesn't mean that they will not "feel" deprived... and possibly sneak around to be like everyone else. I think I want to try to teach my son to eat all foods responsibly and certain foods in moderation. I am hopeful that because we don't have carbs and sugar constantly available during our everyday life our son will not grow up addicted to carbs.

My mom (who is *highly* addicted to sugar, won't even do low carb because of all she must give up) has told me a true story. I am not saying we should all do as the mother of these children did! LOL! but it is definately "food" for thought.

Mom was dirt poor growing up and they almost *never* got candy, maybe a few pieces of chocolate at Christmas. As a teen she became a nanny for 5 children during the summer for a wealthy family... this family had bowls of hard candy and boxes of expensive chocolates sitting around all the time. Mom asked if she could have some and was told "of course". Well one night mom binged and ate almost an entire 5 lb box of candy.. she was very upset and apologized profusely for it. The woman she worked for didn't mind at all and just put out another box. Mom asked why her children didn't just gobble all the candy and the woman replied "why should they.. they know it is here if they want some". Mom remembers that the kids were rather indifferent to candy.. even the 4 yr old. Oh, they occasionally got a piece or two, but they never gorged themselves.

My mother has met several of these children now that they are grown, they are successful, happy, and do not have a weight problem (though she cannot know whether they eat well). It seems ironic that my mom.. the one that never got any candy, is the one who is overweight, has major food issues, and is highly addicted to sugar.