#11   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 03:43
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 125/110/110
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default I found out about BC pills the hard way

Lisa, my daughter was 14 when she was put on PCP's. She had not had a period in 3 months so I took her to a gynocologist. They did a sonogram and said everything looked good....gave her Provera to start her period and then started her on the pill. The result was stomach upset, weight gain and lethargy. I took her off of them after 3 months. After not having a period for 6 months, my daughter wanted to go back on them. She went back on them for about six months....had regular periods, but the stomach upset, weight gain and lethargy returned. Again, she went off of the pill.

Then my daughter read an article about PCOS and I started researching the problem. All we are doing now is the low carb diet and chromium. She was on Vitex for awhile. I am not sure whether that helped or not. After a couple of weeks on low carb, she had a slight period....she skipped the next and this month she spotted a little bit. I am hopeful that this at least means that her system is regulating itself somewhat.

One question please...how long did you stay on the pill? I am so hopeful that she wasn't on it long enough to do permanent damage. I am also sorry that they did that to you also. It seems like we are their guinia pigs and they usually go for the easy answer to a very complicated problem.

Happy2lose, thank you for the good wishes, but I feel like I am treading where angels fear to tread. Katie's guardian is very protective of her and has delt with people condemning Katie because of her weight so long that she seems to feel like I am just another person picking on Katie for being overweight. The hard part is trying to convince her that I am not just another person trying to get Katie to go on a diet because she is overweight. I am trying to explain that I am not condeming Katie....I am trying to tell her that it is not her fault and that Katie has an endocrine problem that can be lived with if she gets help. It is just hard to get past her guardians initial "protect Katie" impulse when someone mentions her weight. I can understand how she feels, because I have seen Katie hurt by people's cruelty so many times. I have seen my own daughter hurt by peoples attitude. My daughter would actually hide from people that she hadn't seen for a few years if we happened to see them in a store or something because she didn't want them to see how much weight she had gained. It broke my heart.