View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 00:09

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

In a strong echo of what Cat has already emphasized, high carb and high fat is a very dangerous combination. I strongly encourage you to get either Atkins' book or Protein Power by the Eades and learn about the what and why of low carbing - in particular, what carbs do to the body and how they do it.

Unlike most diets, low-carbing is quite easy to stick to at restaurants. Chinese is a challenge because of all the starch they add to virtually every dish, but the rest are generally not a problem. Don't eat the bread or starchy vegetables. Enjoy the salad with an oil or ranch dressing. Eat all the meat and seafood you want provided it's not breaded and pass on dessert. As Cat said, you can almost always follow this without drawing any attention to yourself at all - and if anyone should comment, simply tell them that you need to control your blood sugar - which is exactly true and precisely what you are doing.

Do NOT skip breakfast - it's the most important meal of the day for a LOT of reasons.

Given that you don't need to lose much and that you are willing to take several months to do it, you might try the following feasible: Lower your carb intake and drastically reduce your sugar intake. Do NOT increase your protein or fat intake very much unless you are actually going low carb - you want to avoid the high carb high fat problems and it doesn't take a lot of carbs to trigger them. Basically, continue eating as you are but trim out the carbs as you can. This is NOT the best approach by any means - it's a kludge and I don't support kludging LC so I am NOT recommending this approach, merely offering it as a possibility in case you conclude that you really can't commit to an actual LC approach. Besides, it doesn't address the biggest concern - how you are going to remain at your goal once you make it there. That is FAR easier said than done. But if you research it a bit I think you will find that you CAN commit to LC - it's a lot easier than it appears at first.

Cheers.