View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-11-01, 08:59
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh Wa'il, I'm sorry you had a bad experience... .. I'm the same way ... I find I have to read the label very carefully, and whatever it says is ONE serving, I have to cut in half in order to avoid any unpleasantness. Oh well, makes the chocolate bar last longer ..

On a serious note though, I think it's important that people know the potential side effects of these sugar alcohols. You're a big, tall guy ... imagine the discomfort that might be experienced by a small child, after eating some of these treats.

If folks want to know more about Sugar Alcohols such as Maltitol, Isomalt, Sorbitol and the like, click here to read the article from our Tips webpage. There are links to more information, including a petition from CSPI consumer group to the Minister of Health, urging WARNING labels for foods containing sugar alcohols (especially sorbitol) and the effects in children.

Currently, both US and Cdn FDA's have classified the most commonly used sugar alcohols as GRAS (Generally Regarded As Safe). But they are under scrutiny, and labelling changes may be on the way.

Doreen