View Single Post
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-27-02, 06:53
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Jenny, s'okay ... the Eades published the original Protein Power in 1995. By the time they published their follow-up Protein Power Lifeplan in 2000, they'd recanted their statement. This is from the FAQ's at the PP website:
Quote:
I have heard that flaxseed oil is a good source of Omega-3 oils. What are your recommendations?

Since writing the Protein Power book, we have changed our viewpoint on Omega-3 oils. We do recommend using flax oil and fish oils, which contains high amounts of Omega-3 oils. Omega-3 fatty acids are a family of particularly long-chained polyunsaturated fats that share a unique chemical structure. These fats are incorporated into numerous cells of the body and form potent hormone-like structures called eicosanoids. Eicosanoids are believed to play a significant role in boosting the immune response and reducing risk from atherosclerosis, cancer, inflammatory conditions and allergic reactions. The adult daily recommendation for omega-3 fatty acids is estimated to be 300-400 mg per day.
I've found the info about flax from Whole Health MD to be very good, and recommendations for how much to take.

I've seen other articles before suggesting that flax oil isn't the great panacea, and may even cause harm in the body. These "studies" were done on the basis that flax was the ONLY oil being consumed on a longterm basis. This is rarely the case for us, where we are eating fats and oils from a variety of sources every day.

Make sure the oil you buy is fresh-dated on the bottle, which should be opaque plastic or dark glass, and stored in the refrigerator. Make sure it states on the label that the oil was expeller-pressed without heat, light or air. Simply "cold-pressed" isn't enough. Flax is a polyunsaturate, and as such, the EFA's are very prone to oxidation. Keep the bottle tightly capped, use the oil soon after you pour it out of the bottle, and never cook with flax oil .. or the EFA's will be destroyed. (It's ok though to add flax oil to hot food when you serve it, eg as a dressing over steamed vegetables).

hth

Doreen