Old Wed, May-23-01, 20:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default sugar-free jams

hi Carol,

I have the BerNARdin cookbook, and there is a section for "light" sugar-free jams and preserves. I also have "Put a Lid on It", by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard (Canadian) ... volume 2 is out as well. there is a section for sugar-free jams using the special no-sugar added pectin, and Splenda. However, I like to use SugarTwin (cyclamate) ... less than half the carbs of Splenda, and less maltodextrin to upset my gut. They average 3 carbs per Tbsp, but I imagine using a lower carb sweetener makes a difference.

I love strawberries, fresh and whole, but I find strawberry jam is BORING. I love raspberry jam and MARMALADE. Anybody out there have a lowcarb marmalade recipe??

The "Put a Lid on It" book has a 3-fruit marmalade spread, that uses canned unsweetened pineapple. It works out to just under 3 carbs per Tbsp, when made with Splenda. I'm thinking to substitute a part of the pineapple with steamed grated carrots, and SugarTwin and stevia as the sweetener. Don't know if it would work, but I'm willing to experiment.

I can't do the "bread" thing, even lowcarb.... so I will continue to make my version of Revolution Rolls, and enjoy them as buns for burgers, and brekkie with a bit o' soft cream cheese and sugar-free jam.

Doreen