View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 14:17

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Karen, that was an awesome link! Thanks so much for posting it. I resolved 2 years ago to cut our grocery budget to 50 dollars a week (for a family of 4) and was managing it quite well until I started low carbing. Meat and fresh veggies do cost more than pancakes and macaroni & cheese. So just when I get my DH used to not having meat at every meal, BAM! I switch to low carb and give him more meat, but take away his potatoes. Poor dear....will he ever get used to my making changes without warning? LOL Now that I'm used to this, I have found that I can feed all 4 of us quite well for about 60-70 dollars a week. I shop the meat sales and stock up when I find a good bargain. Also shop at stores early in the morning when meat and veggies are often marked down. Leftover meat now gets eaten instead of being left in the back of the refrigerator until it reincarnates into a new life form that growls at you when you throw it in the trash. My advice...spend some time purusing the grocery store sale ads every Sunday and shop where the best prices are..even if it means a trip to two or three stores (as long as they're not ridiculously far away). You work HARD for that money...spend it wisely! I also very much agree with the advice that if you have to choose between designer clothes and good healthy food, wear second hand and feed yourself and your family well.