View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-02, 12:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Jujubaby, OldSalty is right, Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution is THE book to read if you want to know about (both types of) diabetes.

I'd also recommend you do a websearch on Glucophage and find out the SPECIFIC actions of this particular drug (or perhaps even search here in the Diabetes forum) as some diabetes "drugs" force down blood sugars by causing the pancreas to INCREASE it's output of insulin and some actually reduce the blood sugar itself by some mechanism I'm not clear on but I THINK involves increasing cells' sensitivity to the existing insulin. Two very different approaches which can make a great difference in the results.

Quote:
The first was with people given a restrictive diet; {surely must be low carbs} and one group given glucophage. Out of the group with glucophage, several lost weight that had difficulty losing weight. But so did the diet restrictive people lose weight and controlled the advent of diabetes.

Well, NOT necessarily is this diet referred to a low carb one... if it's not SPECIFIED as low carb, the odds are that it's actually low fat.