#9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-02, 19:05
Registered Member

Plan: sugarbusters
Stats: 270/242.00/142
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default thanks Doreen

yes I'm always interested in new material to read about losing weight and nutrition.
I recently purchased several books in order to read what was current with low carbing and it always seems that they get so far to say that we shouldn't eat to induce an insulin spike, but fall short of saying that there is something to Atkins total low carb diet/restrictions.
I don't know if you remember an early posting of mine where I went to see the intern about a bad bronchial cough and fell into bad graces with the Dr?
Well, after discussing how "bad" she thought my "asthma; had become and stating I was in a "downward spiral" she added to the bunch of medicines, glucophage. Supposedly the New England Journal of Medicine had completed a study with people who are overweight and in danger of becoming diabetics, were put on two protocols.
The first was with people given a restrictive diet; {surely must be low carbs} and one group given glucophage. Out of the group with glucophage, several lost weight that had difficulty losing weight. But so did the diet restrictive people lose weight and controlled the advent of diabetes.
So, the study is still incomplete, but a new endo that I went to tuesday said that I was not a diabetic and yes what I was trying to do by my restricing sugar, white flour and white potatoes was as good as the diabetics dieting to GET OFFF MEDICATIONS.
He was careful not to say that she was wrong giving the glucophage, {doesn't want to get involved in a court case, have no fear} but he sees no evidence that the study warrants the use of non diabtetics taking glucophage.
The logical question is, do all the people that become diabetics begin to lose weight when they are finally put on glucophage?
Allegedly the medicine prevents too much insulin being produced and prevents hunger or supposedly "controls" appetite.

So back to the diet by calories?

One of the books that I read was DR. Heller's "Carbo addictics diet" and how to lose weight by having NO carbs all day until one meal for one hour only, when you can consume meat and potatoes and fruit and dessert.{here simplified}
The other books were Dr. Atkins new Revelations/explanations; Nutrition for Healing; Dr. Schwarzbein's cook book; and False Fat and how to cleanse and detoxify the body of these excess fats/fluids then on to real fat loss.

Not sure of what to think/do now!