#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 11:55
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Lightbulb Identity

I'm browsing the LC forum so that I can procrastinate doing my laundry and dishes. So I'll start a discussion on something I've often pondered.

Most of us consider ourselves carb addicts. "Once I start, I can't stop." "To me, there's no such thing as too rich." "I could eat (frosting right out of the container, a bucket of raw cookie dough, an entire can of Pringles, etc)." These are statements that have applied to me at one point and have amused many a coworker and friend. I used to eat junk constantly. Ah, the early twenties, when you can get away with it.

But you know what? I honestly believe that, at least for many people, once you eliminate junk, your tolerance goes way down. I've hardly had any candy since my coworkers bought me a gallon-sized bucket of mini chocolate bars when I left back in August. I was at a dinner on Friday night, and when confronted with the cake, it just didn't *taste* very good. I ate a bit of the frosting since it was real whipped cream with very little sugar, and I chucked it in the garbage. I honestly didn't want it.

We've all heard of people who say, "I don't care for sweets." These people used to make me sick. But y'know what? I'm becoming one of them. When I'm really hungry, I think of a big cheesy omelette or caesar salad - chips or candy don't even enter my mind anymore.

So: I realize that the addiction model for food works well for many people, but I don't like it; not for me, anyway. I prefer to think that yes, I can have small amounts of it on occaision and it won't drive me crazy. I firmly believe in self-fulfilling prophecies; that whatever you believe about yourself will become truth, if it isn't already. "I'm just not much of a sweets person. I'd rather have a big juicy burger." Isn't that a neat thing to be able to say? This is the new version: "I don't mind a little bit of something rich, every now and then" and "I USED to be a sugar junkie, but now, eating junk makes me feel like crap, so I don't do it anymore."

Just a thought. You can change your identity; you can change the tape recorder in your head to play a different tune.

--
Kristine, not much of a sugar person.
Sponsored Links