#5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-13-02, 07:02
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default food senstivities?

Well, Sam it looks like you've been at this a lot longer than I but since you wrote, I can't resist the siren call to give my opinion!!! It sounds like you really appreciate all the health benefits of keeping stable blood sugars with the LC lifestyle and would like to try to continue. I have two things to suggest: Perhaps you need to try a different approach to LCing... maybe chicken and fish and eliminate all that meat (suggested in Eades book Protein Power) and I've read where some people do a bit better by upping their carbs a bit with veggies and selected fruits and spacing them out carefully throughout the day. Particularly if you are very active. I would be careful in your "zest" to lose those pounds that you are eating ENOUGH protein. Starving your body is never the answer no matter what diet your on.

The other thing I suggest you check out is Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution book. You may not be diabetic but you could have severe insulin resistance and would benefit from truly maintaining a steady blood sugar. (He advocates a LC approach)

And lastly... (oops that makes three ) I hate to mention it... but speaking from experience as we ahem age, out metabolism slows down and your set point will be lower. I'm sure you know the answer to this one... weight lifting to increase LBM and basal metabolism.

Good luck and hope this response got you thinking. I'm sure with a bit of reading and thinking you'll think of an appropriate strategy!