View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-02, 15:03

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Leslie...

my advice...cut the sugar out of his diet for the most part and control his carb intake within reason for a 10 year old. He's a little too young to put on a low carb diet, but that doesn't mean that you can't help him start making good choices now so that hopefully by the time he's 12 or 13, there will be no need for loosing weight. Make sure that the carbs that he does eat are slow acting ones (whole grains, non-starchy vegetables) and encourage him to exercise. If you are truly concerned, have his doctor check him out to put your mind at ease. The study did not say that every tall chubby child is going to develop type 1 diabetes, only that there seems to be a higher likelihood that they may and one study doesn't really show anything definitively. I didn't see anything in the study comparing the diets of the thin smaller children to the larger ones (levels of carb and sugar intake and amount of exercise, for example) and that may play a BIG part in what's going on. My 7 1/2 year old daughter is above average height (4' 3") and is a bit chubby. She has a way of finding sweet treats even though I rarely give them to her and it's quite frustrating. Other children give them to her and even her teachers. I'm trying to educate her that sugar is bad for her health and help her make better choices in what she eats and I've also requested that her teachers NOT reward her with sugary treats.