#4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 20:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Oh I hear you about that....

Once I passed puberty, the stroopwaffels and the stamppot met endijve (?), my favourite with hot bacon and dripping just conspired and landed all over me. Sigh.

Believe it or not, I've found a "sugarfree" stroopwaffel" here, but it's only fooling oneself, it's made with maltitol and and sets off the Sweet Thing in a very big way... too bad.

I have been able to enjoy a similar dish to the various stamppots, after all it's only the dam ardappel (potatoe to you regular folks) that's the problem. I make it with a pureed turnip, the white one with the purple shoulders, using the nutmeg and butter and boerenkool (kale) and yes, even the rookworst (double smoked country sausage). Makes a great special occasion dinner and very comforting to me!

I DO find, however, that too many processed meats (bacon, ham, lyoner sausage) come with too many carbs, as well as too much cheese which I absolutely adore (Gouda, mild and buttery, is STILL my absolute favourite).

Most nights we have roasted, grilled or sauted meats (beef, pork, chicken, fish) and a salad with leafy greens, cucumber, a nice zesty italian-style vinaigrette, with a little shredded parmesan or other strong cheese. I'll have a slice of tomato, my husband will have about a whole tomato and often a carrot with his. I find that between roasting, grilling or saute-ing, and varying that with the beef, pork, chicken and fish, and of course playing with herb and spice seasonings and simple sauces, the variety is actually a lot!

Sugarless gelatin is the regular dessert, with some slagroom (whipped cream) treat reserved for the weekends. I like to make a classic "fool" (how British is THAT?! ) and stir in fresh or frozen unsweetened berries.

Lunches are REALLY easy. I always cook about a third more in the meats department for dinners than we eat. I have leftovers all week, and those are usually my lunch. That cuts down on the cheese and deli meats. I eat those cooked meats cold and "straight", with fresh ground pepper and salt (I keep both at the office) or a good mustard and/or mayo (also at the office). Can also cut them up and make a fine "salad", which is great just eaten with a spoon or rolled up in a crisp lettuce leaf or two, or use a celery stalk as an edible scoop. I also keep a quality vegetable and/or chicken broth (the instant kind) in the drawer at work. Makes a nice change.

Hope this all helps!