#6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-02, 08:17
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I'll save you some keystrokes, Nat.

Akiwican, if you don't have access to the BFL book, the next best thing would be to explore the website for more information about the workout theory and routine. It's very specific. The BFL link is: www.bodyforlife.com

There you will find that the cardio workout is based on an "interval" system and that during each interval your workout should range like this in intensity:

Your first interval should be 2 mins. at a level 5 intensity (based on your own physical condition)
Minute #3 should be at level 6
Minute #4 at level 7
Minute #5 at levl 8
Minute #6 at level 9 (at this point you should be breathing very heavy, barely able to hold a conversation)
Minute #7 back down to level 6
Minute #8 up to 7
Minute #9 up to 8
Minute #10 up to 9
Minute #11 back down to 6
Minute #12 up to 7.... next minute up to 8, etc.

You get the picture?

And you do this for a total of 4 intervals (or cycles).... each time getting up to level 9.....AND THEN on the last (4th) interval, for your last minute, you push even harder, as hard as you can possibly go, to reach your level 10. Then take a 1-2 minute cooldown and you're done!! For a total of 20 minutes.

I use a stationary bike for my cardio. Some people walk/jog, stairmaster, elliptical trainer.... whatever you can use where you can vary the intensity this way.

Yes, Phillips recommends working out in the morning, on an empty stomach....but drink 16 oz. of water first!!

I believe Nat's research shows to take .3 gm of glutamine for every KILOGRAM of lean body mass. For me, I have 120 lbs. of lean body mass which is 55 KG....so 55 x .3 = 16 grams/day. Split out 3x per day. If you get the powder that will be one tsp. 3x/day. The clerk at GNC told me that would be a good dose for me also.

Jeanner, BFL workout frequencies look like this:
Day 1 = upper body workout
Day 2 - 20 min cardio
Day 3 - lower body workout + abs
Day 4 - 20 min cardio
Day 5 - upper body workout
Day 6 - 20 min cardio
Day 7 - REST/FREE DAY
2nd week, Day 1: = lower body workout + abs
day 2 - cardio
day 3 - upper body workout
day 4 - cardio
etc
etc.

You work out a muscle group to an intensity of 10 and then rest it for 4-5 days before working it again.

All of this will make MUCH more sense when you read the book. You probably shouldn't dive in with the weights until you've done so. The cardio workouts you could easily get started on now.