View Single Post
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-05-02, 14:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 198/192/150
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default reply

I just finished writing a long peice and it was lost in cyberspace!

I have read the book and on books like this I tend to skim read them. I try to get the nuts and bolts so to speak. I am not that motivated or interested in what has happened to other people or patients because I have been on so many diets that have not worked for me that hearing about someone else success means little or nothing.

What I got out of my read of this book was meat/cheese/eggs and so that is essentially what I did. I also got the message to buy ketones test sticks which I did and use and to have a physical exam which I had just had including lab tests. I am about to take a 13 hour plane ride so I will re read this book and see what more I can glean. I only read through the chapter on Induction.

I have a difficult life style to do any kind of diet on but this Atkins diet has been by far the easiest. I eat 70% of my meals out and many are entertained. I can usually pick from the menu but many times what I get on my plate has been determined by someone else and I must decide what to eat and what to leave.

I am willing to do any thing or eat anything for the rest of my life as long as I lose the 50 pounds I want to lose (I will settle for 30 pounds if I have to). Food means nothing to me I do not eat snacks never have, do not eat fast food or soda pop or caffein and esentially have not for the past 20 years. I put very little importance on food other than a fuel to power the body to be able to do the things you need and want to do.

I have been to nutritionists and all they say is "I wish all patients ate like you do" well that is not much help when you need to lose 50 pounds and all you seem to do is gain weight.

Since Nov 2001 I have been exercising on a teadmill 40 mins per day 5 out of 7 days a week and eating 1 cup measured of cereal with non fat milk for breakfast. A salad for lunch with fruit and lettuce etc and a small plate for dinner. I have not lost or gained any weight on this "diet"

In spite of "bad" things I heard about the Atkins diet I decided to try it anyway. I must say I have for the first time felt better on it and I have actually lost weight!!! I may have been doing it wrong but at least it worked which is more than I can say for the past 15 years of trying. So I am only 10 days into this and a long way to go.

Any suggestions are welcome because I am determined this time is going to work because I am not prepared to have my stomach stapled or my jaws wired I do not believe that is necessary because I really don't eat that much and will power is not a problem for me. Thanks comments welcome