View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 09:24

Plan: Jim's modified CALP
Stats: 483/405/220
BF:
Progress: 30%

CALP in my estimation is the Heller's reaction to the fact that some people weren't losing weight on CAD because they were treating the reward meal as a time to binge. CALP has lifestyle choices that can speed up weight loss and improve overall health.

Having read both books, I think CALP helps ease you into a sustainable lifestyle. Here's what I mean by that. I think most people are searching for the Holy Grail of diet plans. What we want is a plan where we can eat whatever we want and never exercise and still lose copious amounts of weight. I think for some, when reading CAD they get the idea that they have found the holy grail and moderation is unimportant. The problem for me if I were to adopt that attitude is that I wouldn't actually change what is the problem for me...carbohydrate addiction. For me, I think it would be like being an alcoholic and then getting blitzed 1 hour a day. Under those conditions, I wouldn't be learning to deal with my addiction.

For me, the CALP book eases me into dealing with the addiction of carbs. It is more concerned with helping you live in moderation. Ultimately it works because you intake less food. That is very different from Atkins.

One little warning: My first week on CALP, I dropped a large amount of weight. The following week, however, I had a pretty severe reaction to the change in plans. I started retaining water like crazy and my blood pressure jumped up. Once I got through that 2nd week, I felt fine and my weight loss became steady again. I say that just to let you know, that what you're experiencing now could change abruptly.

One more soapbox item: Whatever plan you work out for yourself, you need to make sure that you're working on the actual problem (in my case carb addiction), and not just a symptom (weight). That is a trap I have fallen into so many times as I have lost and regained weight. As hard as it is to do, don't focus on weight as the goal, but rather a sign that you're doing well dealing with the real problem.

Sorry for the length. God Bless,