#6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 00:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/210/137
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default It works!

Daisy,

It's really working great for my son! He has been on it a little over a month, and yes, we do give him veggies! His first follow-up visit wasn't very encouraging, though. The doctor looked at him and asked whether or not he really wanted to lose weight because he had lost 3 pounds (which I thought was good). The doctor then made the statement that Chris had been cheating because he should have dropped 20 pounds. Chris admitted to sneaking off and eating at fast food joints without our knowledge, so we explained the importance of sticking to it faithfully, and during the next 2 weeks he did so.

I'll never forget the smile on his face and the shocked look he had when the nurse said he had lost 17 pounds!!!! He hasn't stopped grinning yet and it has encouraged him to adhere to the plan even more! Soooooo.....it's working!!!! We could tell he was dropping the pounds by looking at him, but then to actually see and have it confirmed made a world of difference!

He did get a virus that was going around school, and during that time he was having leg cramps. I didn't know if it was from the Atkins or the virus, so I called his doctor who got him right in to see him. He supplemented Chris with some vitamins and minerals, which I do advise to do right from the beginning, since I have read most of the Atkins book now. Chris's doctor also allowed us to take him off of the program for 2 days while he was sick and told us to let him eat anything he wanted to, which we did. He is now back on Atkins and yes, he has to go through breaking the cravings all over again, but since we know the success of it, we are working together to encourage him to get back to it as quickly as possible and be faithful to it. I have found some sugarfree candies that, when he is wanting dessert or sweets, I will allow him one which has 3 gr of carbs in it.

The difference is like night and day concerning the way he acts when he is doing Atkins. He is not as hyper or, believe it or not, smart mouthed! I really believe it is the absence of sugar that affects these areas. Even his teacher has noticed the difference in school on how he is much more focused and not as easily distracted as he was before Atkins.

My son is 12 years old, 5'6" and was weighing 223 lbs. when we took him in and started the plan. Now he weighs 203 lbs, and you can see his confidence and self esteem coming back, even more so when others notice the drop in his weight. He has always been teased because of being so large and loving to eat. Now we let him eat whenever he wants to and as much as he wants to, as long as it is sugar-free and low carb.

My husband and I both are so thankful for a doctor that supports Atkins and believe this is answered prayer. We were so concerned for Chris's health because he would get out of breath easily and there was a history of heart disease and diabetes in the family. But, now, between Atkins and getting him on an exercise program, we are helping him to take preventative measures that will help him as he gets older and lessen the chance of him suffering from these conditions. I recommend that, because your daughter is young, you find a doctor that first, supports the low carb woe, that will monitor her closely through bloodwork and regular office visits. It's worked for us, and I hope it works for ya'll!