View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-29-02, 22:16

Plan: My own: clean eating
Stats: 290/139/125 Female 5'5"
BF:no clue!
Progress: 92%

As I've said before, I'm vigilant about being careful in the sun. I have also done a bit of research on sunscreens. As I understand it, the best sunscreens have either a physical blocker (these would be zinc oxide and titanium dioxide) or a chemical broad-spectrum blocker. The only reliable one of these is avobenzone, known commercially as Parsol 1789. I firmly believe that there is no such thing as a safe tan. A tan is a sign of skin damage. My friend who got melanoma tans very easily. Unfortunately, she didn't protect her skin and the tans she got so effortlessly resulted in cancer that almost killed her. If someone like her (with olive toned skin and brown eyes) can have this happen, then someone like me (with pasty white skin and light blue eyes) needs to be very careful. I consider myself successful when, at the end of an active summer, I have absolutely no tan lines whatsoever. I spent a large part of the summer outdoors with my kids last year, and none of us burned or tanned.

As I said before, I don't own PPLP (the bookstore was out when I went there) and I'd have to read what the Eades said, but nothing they could say would change my mind about tanning. I guess everyone has to do their own research (and that should include looking at sources other than the Eades) and decide what they feel comfortable doing. I'm very happy with my choice.