View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-02, 20:44

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

For any diabetic, I would highly recommend purchasing and reading cover to cover, Dr. Richard Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. I credit this book with literally saving my life. Dr. Bernstein is an insulin dependent diabetic himself who actually became a doctor in his mid-forties to gain some credibility for the diet that he had been using for some years already to control his blood sugars with great success (I believe that he actually predates Dr. Atkins with this approach). He reports in his book that eating a low carb diet actually reversed many of the diabetic complications that he had developed following the standard higher carb diabetic diet. I started doing this WOE in May last year. By July, I had to cut my Glucophage dosage in half and by September, my HgA1C had dropped from 11.8 (average blood sugar of 250) to 5.8 (average blood sugar of 100). Even my doctor says he's never seen it drop that fast. In the 10 months that I've been doing this, I've also droppped 65 lbs. It would probably be more if I hadn't stupidly taken a "break" from this WOE over the holidays. I now no longer need ANY medication to control my blood sugars and my average blood sugar is now 85. This WOE WORKS for diabetics far better than anything else out there.