View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Mar-26-02, 21:39

Plan: started Atkins at 126 LBS
Stats: 147/127/120
BF:
Progress: 74%

I've only been doing Neanderthin for about a week and a half, and I still haven't given up vinegar in my mayo and salad dressing. I've given up so much already. The only thing left before I started this was cream in my coffee (decaf, of course) and butter. I 'm not sure how I'm doing. I certainly don't expect this to be a magic pill, so I suspect if I lose, it will take a long time before I see any real results. If I can just stabilize and quit gaining back what I can only lose with a meat fast, I'll feel a little better. I've quit weighing myself, believe it or not, and I quit taking measurements, too. We'll see how long that lasts, but I was driving myself crazy with the scale, and I can tell with my clothes if I'm gaining and have to take drastic measures. I'm taking it as a bad sign that there are only three of us on this thread. Others I've read have tons of people involved. Does this mean that most people that encounter this kind of resistance just give up and bag it, or there really aren't very many like us? Frances, I've read in more than one place that the more times you quit and re-start low-carbing, the harder it is to lose. To be perfectly honest, one of the biggest reasons I've stuck with this is because I'm terrified that if I give up and go back to my old way of eating (which pretty much kept my weight off but was sooo unhealthy since it was overloaded with sugar and bread), I'll gain back everything I lost and then some. My body is no longer accustomed to handling all of that sugar. If Neanderthin doesn't work, I guess if I want to take this off, I can start restricting calories within the Neanderthin program and see if that works. The thought of low cal makes me cringe. Is that what you're talking about doing, Sam, if strict Induction doesn't pay off? Frances, how long have you been trying to do LC? Try not to give up yet. One thing I've learned (the hard way) is that you have to tailor LC to your own body, and boy, does that ever take time. One VERY helpful book I read is The Secret to Low Carb Success by Laura Richard. She gives a quick overview of a number of low carb programs, sets up a chart comparing them, and then devotes a number of chapters to explaining what you can realistically expect from any of them, what the stumbling blocks are, and some strategies to get through the tough times.