View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 22:07

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default Suggestion for modifying page layout

I find two things about the page layout very annoying and would like to suggest an alternative.

I think my usage pattern is pretty typical so I think this would apply to a number of members. But perhaps not because I have seldom been accused of being normal.

When I scan through the forums I am interested in, I am looking at the top of the forum listing because I am interested in new posts. If I don't find any, then I want to click on a new forum to look at. The easiest way to do this is to use the Forum Jump list. But it is located at the bottom of the page and so I have to scroll down to get to it. Could that list be moved up to the top? Or perhaps a second copy be placed at the top?

Then, if I find a thread that I want to look at, either I post a reply or I don't. If I don't, then all I have to do is hit the "Back" button on the browser. But if I do, then after I post my response I am taken to the response in the thread which is located at the bottom of the page. While this is conveniently near the Forum Jump list, most of the time I want to go back to that same forum and the Forum Jump list doesn't respond if you try to jump to the forum that you are already in. Instead, the simplest way is to scroll all the way back up to the top and click on the forum name in the header. Could either the Forum Jump list at the bottom be made so that it takes you back to that forum's thread list even if you are currently viewing a thread in that same forum or, alternatively, could a button be placed at the bottom that will do this - perhaps labeled "Thread List"?

A non-layout suggestion is to increase the length of the time out so that someone that's writing a post has at least ten minutes to submit it before their login expires. It seems like only a couple of minutes at present and when that happens your post does not get submitted even after you log in. So you have to go back and copy the contents of your post to the clipboard and then start a new reply and paste it in. If you aren't very careful, you lose what you have written and since we are already talking about longer than normal posts that is very annoying. I've noticed a number of people that have had problems with this.

Thanks a lot for considering all of these things and I hope you opt to implement some of them.

Cheers!
Sponsored Links