View Single Post
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 11:43

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 183/176/130
BF:
Progress: 13%

Hi everyone, I am new here and new to the SP approach. I read the book last weekend and have been following it most of the past week.
I have a strong family history of diabetes and 4X the normal amount of insulin for my age, so it's pretty obvious that I'm well along the way towards that condition. I also am recovering from CFIDS, which made me very inactive for several years (could not walk 1/2 block without resting) so I am very unfit. My doctor has prescribed Glucophage to reduce insulin but I'd rather try this approach for awhile. She doesn't object to Atkins (but I do - no way I could follow it!) so I'm going to try this for awhile and get another insulin reading to see if it's any lower as a result.
What I've noticed so far is that I get FULL on this food! And I stay feeling full for much longer. I love carbs of every kind, with a weakness for good breads and bakery items, so that's a bit hard but I hope the cravings will diminish. I tried the Zone diet a few years ago, lost 15 lbs but found it boring and hated calculating the contents of every meal. Gained the weight back instantly. Lost 15 lbs last summer counting calories and walking, kept it off until I quit smoking in December when I gained back 8 lbs. I'm not calculating my carb intake now, just strictly avoiding any grain products and almost all starchy vegetables, as well as being very careful not to eat bad fats. It's weird to eat things like nuts and full-fat cottage cheese again!
I would love to exchange recipes or recipe resources with folks here. Also I have yet to check out all the features available on this site... I'd welcome any direction from more experienced folks on how to make full use of SP or this site. Thanks!
Wren