View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 15:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 212/188/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Arachidonic Acid

I started on Atkins (after reading the book) back in early January and have remained on the induction part. About the same time as I started on the diet, I developed a terrible itch and dryness on my face and neck. I have changed detergent, changed cosmetics, etc. with no improvement. A few days ago I bought Protein Power - a very good, very informative book. I think I have discovered my problem - Arachidonic acid which is found in meats, especially beef, and eggs. I believe I am one of the "lucky" ones who is hyper sensitive to this acid so I began to take fish oil capsules as the book recommends. I do think it is working.
Protein Power lists the symptoms of too much AA or a sensitivity to AA as: chronic fatigue, poor or restless sleep, difficulty awakening or grogginess on awakening, brittle hair, thin and brittle nails, constipation, dry flaky skin, minor rashes. I was bothered by all of these but just chalked it up to menopause. I think the fish oil is going to solve all my problems!
Also, I have had problems with carb cravings even while sticking with 20 or so carbs a day - I checked with Fitday to make sure I wasn't fooling myself. Since starting the fish oil, the cravings have been alleviated.
Knowledge is a wonderful thing!
Sponsored Links