Old Fri, Mar-22-02, 09:34

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Fitday - Flaxseed oil

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
I was wondering if I should be counting the cal and fat from Flaxseed Oil on my daily fitday totals. There are 361 cal and 41g fat in 3 Tbsp.

Also re: fitday the percentages come out about right {65% fat and 35% protein} but when I look at the grams, the fat and protein are usually about the same. Is that correct?

Some people use the calories from flaxoil (and other EFA rich oils) toward their calorie count, but it's not advisable. Your body recognizes this 'food' as something that is essential and shuttles it off for more important things than energy. If you start counting those 361 calories toward energy you could end up short changing yourself on calories in the long run.

Yes, the grams of fat and protein can be similar but the % and the calories will be quite different. This is because one gram of carbohydrate and one gram of protein have 4 calories, whereas one gram of fat has 9 calories, making it over 2x as calorie dense. This is why we advise that increasing calories be done with fat, it takes less

Nat