Old Sun, Mar-06-05, 11:08
Lobstergal

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Yes, you can be sensitive or allergic to nearly any food and you can develop that sensitivity at any point in your life; you don't have to be born with it. Some food allergies/sensitivities are more common than others, though.
Having said that, are you sure it's the spinach? Are you eating it plain with nothing else added?
With some allergies, cooking the food in question seems to make a difference....it does with my DH. He can't eat apples, peaches, celery or carrots raw, but he has no problem with them cooked because cooking denatures the protein molecule in those foods that he is allergic to.

I am pretty positive it was the spinach as it was the only thing I ate yesterday that I had not eaten in a long time. I had it raw as the base of my salad with a sliced steak, 1 tablespoon olive oil and 2 cups of hot cooked california-style vegetables on the top (broccoli, cauliflower and carrot mix) for supper. The only other thing in the salad was a sprinkle of sea salt which I use a tiny bit of each day. Just a pinch.

I also ate some spinach plain right out of the bag. Everything else I ate yesterday was bacon, eggs, chicken and broccoli. Broccoli never gives me problems....raw or cooked. I had my usual tea and water too.

I've never noticed a problem with cooked spinach but it has been months since I had it cooked so I could have forgotten. Now I have been eating it raw.
It seems a real shame to have to give it up because it is such a healthy food.