Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 20:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 196/176/150 Female 5'6.5
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by quietone
doesn't it?

First of all, I'd like to say, let's not put every addiction in the same category.

Heroin and cigarettes raise dopamine levels.

Alcohol and sugar raise serotonin levels.

Sugar raises dopamine levels.

Sugar triggers production of the brain's natural opioids. That is a key to the addiction process. The brain is getting addicted to its own opioids as it would to morphine or heroin. Drugs give a bigger effect, but it is essentially the same process.

"Earlier research found that this pattern sensitizes both dopamine and opioid receptors in rats. A cycle of deprivation and excessive sugar intake reinforces bingeing.

Abstinence also triggers withdrawal symptoms that resemble those of drug addiction, such as anxiety, chattering teeth and tremors. The taste of sugar makes the brain release natural opioids, and the bingeing causes dopamine release.

"There is something about this combination of heightened opioid and dopamine responses in the brain that leads to dependency," explains Hoebel. "Without these neurotransmitters, the animal begins to feel anxious and wants to eat sweet food again."

The rats exhibited behavioral changes even when sugar was replaced with the artificial sweetener saccharin. "It appears to be the sweetness, more than the calories, that fuels sugar dependence," says Hoebel."

http://cms.psychologytoday.com/arti...0124-000002.xml

I'm not lumping anyone, or diagnosing because of my own problems. Aren't we all here for the same reason? I'm sorry, but how can you let an extra 100 or more lbs. "catch up" with you and not have a problem? I'm simply stating facts here.