#2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 16:56

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by potatofree
I'm sorry, but I get a bit offended when people assert that everyone who says they aren't an addict is just in denial.

I'm healthier emotionally that I have ever been, so my "defensiveness" is an expression of frustration that people feel so compelled to diagnose addiction in others when they can only truthfully speak for themselves.

I hate to say it but I'm in complete agreement with this. Ex-anythings seem to see their addiction in everyone. Ex-smokers, ex-drinkers, ex-overeaters, ex-My Pretty Pony collectors, any addiction seems to fit this general mindset.
BTW, I smoke...so I'm not talking down to addicts. I do understand the mechanics of addiction. Not much fun.

To some people, no matter what you answer to the accusation of being "in denial," it will only serve as further truth that you're in denial. Argue intelligently? You're so deep in denial that you've obviously researched what response to give. Get angry? Anger is a sign of denial. Refuse to answer? Then you're so heavily in denial that you won't even acknowledge the accusation. Etc.

I told my husband that I was sexually abused as a child. From that moment onward, EVERYTHING was "because I was sexually abused". If I got angry, I was "misdirecting my anger because I could never yell at the abuser". If I said I felt fine about it, then I had "buried my sexual abuse". If I had a bad day, it was "overreaction due to the past abuse". Etc. One time I got so p*ssed at him for this, I almost said, "All right. If I kick you in the nuts right now, will that be due to my past abuse?" (I think the only reason I didn't do it is that his answer would have been "yes"! ) I hate being analyzed by other people.