View Single Post
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 10:24

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Funny thing is - my Dad is in AA, and has been for years. He stopped drinking more than 30 years ago. This being said, he's "addicted" ...or should I say.."rather attached" to his Vick's cough drops and his sugary iced tea. Is this a common phenomenon among alchoholics who stop drinking? I mean, is this something that you and your husband have noticed in your work/research into food and addictions in general? Just curious. I could just ask my Dad if any of his fellow "program people" eat cough drops or drink a lot of soda or what have you.

Absolutely, Citruskiss! What they're doing is essentially scratching the same itch, but with a different (more acceptable) substance. Part of the recovery program that my DH works in focuses on nutrition and healthy eating since many addicts are chronically malnourished. Since he's responsible for meal planning and grocery purchases for the home, he's made a concerted effort to cut back on the amount of 'junk food' purchased (they don't buy pop, period, minimal chips, etc..). If they want sweet treats, they have to make them themselves (and frequently do). As a means of pointing out the connection between sugar and cravings, he had several of the more skeptical clients perform a little experiment after his group discussion on the connection between blood sugar and cravings. One day, they ate a high glycemic breakfast and recorded their responses (emotions, level of hunger, level of cravings, etc...). The next day, they tried a low glycemic breakfast and made the same observations. What do you know? Every one of them noticed a distinct difference between the two (with the low glycemic breakfast distinctly better in all respects). That being said, it doesn't stop them from complaining that he refuses to buy Captain Crunch (or any cereal for that matter but CC seems to be the one requested most often) and Pop Tarts.