Old Sun, Feb-27-05, 09:48
I've decided

Plan: LC
Stats: 235/137.6/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:haven't a clue
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa N
Citruskiss, in truth a rather strong case could be made for sugar (not food in general) as an addictive substance using the criteria that I posted above:
Tolerance, withdrawal and loss of control. I'll also add in that sugar (and high levels of carbs which become sugar) produces certain changes in brain neurotransmitters (increased seratonin production) and the changes produced are similar to those produced by other addictive drugs. Sugar does produce a calming/mood elevating effect temporarily, but it's a two-edged sword. While sugar increases seratonin production, at the same time it reduces the body's ability to produce the building blocks of seratonin so over a period of time, seratonin production actually drops off.
Even more interesting is the fact that the high blood sugar/low blood sugar cycle produced by a high carb/sugar diet can be a trigger for cravings in someone addicted to a chemical substance (alcohol, for one) and at least one person (I can't remember his name off hand...he's from Alaska) has had remarkable success with alcohol addiction recovery by combining a low carb regimen with addiction recovery. Since my DH works in the addiction recovery field, he's very interested in this connection and we've discussed this several times.
So....food in general as an addictive substance, not likely; most foods simply don't fit the criteria for an addictive substance. Sugar (and high glycemic carbs) as an addictive substance; possibly.
That being said, there are other aspects to addiction besides the substance itself because not everyone who consumes some addictive substances becomes addicted. Alcohol is one example; not everyone who consumes alcohol becomes addicted to it. I believe sugar is similar in that respect.

This is very interesting, I had no idea that sugar could effect serotonin production in that way. Furthermore, I must admit that I'm not surprised that eating a high-carb/high sugar diet and the resulting sugar highs and lows would have an effect on someone struggling with an addiction issue. I mean, I've noticed that I'm much more comfortable eating low-carb food than I was back in the days of high carb.

I'm not addicted to anything (well...I lied, because I love coffee and I smoke cigarettes), and yet, I notice a distinct change in my overall comfort. And it took trying a low carb diet (eating plan or whatever you want to call it) to discover this. When I ate a high carb/high sugar diet, I wasn't all that aware of the effects on my body. It's only since I've been low-carbing that I'm seeing a difference in the way I feel. I feel much, much better overall. More energy, less frazzled and so on. I'm not drinking as much coffee and I find that I smoke fewer cigarettes. Interesting eh?

Funny thing is - my Dad is in AA, and has been for years. He stopped drinking more than 30 years ago. This being said, he's "addicted" ...or should I say.."rather attached" to his Vick's cough drops and his sugary iced tea. Is this a common phenomenon among alchoholics who stop drinking? I mean, is this something that you and your husband have noticed in your work/research into food and addictions in general? Just curious. I could just ask my Dad if any of his fellow "program people" eat cough drops or drink a lot of soda or what have you.

Anyway, thanks for the response - I find your insight and experience quite intriguing.