View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 23:17

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%
Default Some inquiries about Soy

First, please don't let this become a debate over whether or not soy is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I have a soy allergy.

For years I've known that things like tofu or edamame give me endless, hard painful hiccups. A few years ago I determined that the soy flour used in many Atkins low carb products affect me the same way. I do seem to be able to handle soy sauce, but that's probably the fermentation.

Lately I've been having strange, intermittent stomach spasms. Almost a rhythmic cramping. It's painful. Sometimes I throw up. It seems to be relieved by very deep regular breathing. But it comes back if I go back to breathing normally.

Now obviously, I need to discuss this with my dr. My regular appointment isn't for a few weeks and I'll definitely discuss it then. On the other hand, since it is intermittent, I decided to keep track of what I'm eating to see if I can find the trigger.

I seem to have tracked the culprit down. It seems to be soybean oil, found in a number of commercial dressings, and almost all mayonnaise, both of which have dramatically increased in my diet over the last 6 weeks of serious LC.

Ok, so that was a very long lead in, but I thought it was necessary.

What I want to know is this. Is there some property in the known phytochemicals that are generally beneficial that could be causing this? Has anyone heard anything like this?

Tonight was the determining attack, and tomorrow I'll be cleaning the culprit out of my cupboards, but I think it is bizarre, and I'd really like to come up with some more information about what might be happening and why.
Sponsored Links