View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Feb-25-05, 09:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Did they check your iron/ferritin levels? Did they palpitate your thyroid gland? Difficulty swallowing is definitely a symptom of thyroid enlargement.

It does sound like hypothyroid, very much. There are other conditions that have the same symptoms. The tests they give to identify it aren't good ones. You need to get a FT3 and FT4 test done. Doctors seem to be using anti-depressents like sugar pills these days. For some reason I think of Foghorn Leghorn saying, "Go away, kid, you're bothering me", and writing a prescription for anti-depressents.

I know most people who get their thyroid corrected feel better with their TSH at or below 1.0 but doctors use an enormous range and even if you have hypoT symptoms and fall into that range they'll chalk it up to something else. This is silly because people don't feel good at every point in that range.

So you need to get FT3/FT4 test done and read up on thyroid and find a doctor willing to treat your symptoms, not a archaic, inaccurate lab test. I always wonder why doctors are so reluctant to treat thyroid symptoms. There's absolutely nothing worse than getting more thyroid hormone than you need. You'll get a rapid, pounding heart-beat, sweaty, nervous, insomnia; it is absolutely the worst feeling. Its pretty easy for the patient to say, "Whoa! This makes me feel horrible, I must not need this." I just don't understand.

Here's two good places to start:

www.altsupportthyroid.org
thyroid.about.com (You can look for doctors there on a link they provide).

And if you want to order your own T3/T4 blood test:
www.healthcheckusa.com

Last bit of advise, you'll have to be a hound-dog to get this treated properly. MD's don't want to spend any time with their patients any more and treating something based on symptoms takes more than the 10 minutes you're allotted, whereas they can write a script for an anti-depressent in 10 seconds. So you might have to look outside the managed medical system to get the proper care.