View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-10-02, 12:25

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

congratulations on making it through induction!

as to adding carbs, YMMV, but I advise to do it slowly--both with numbers of carbs eaten and with sort of carbs reintroduced. I'd start with higher-carb veggies (not potatoes, tho) and berries...then melons...then half a moderate carb fruit. Eating nothing of this sort daily, buy it in small quantities, and be honest with yourself about reactions--if you crave as the result of a certain food, it maybe be on you'll avoid forever. I wouldn't add something new any sooner than one item per week, and one every two weeks would be better.

In pre-maintenance, perhaps add a little from the legume family--a handful of green lentils or canned garbanzos in a home-made soup or all-natural peanut butter now and then on a celery rib. I would add grains and potatoes last, especially if they are what you feared you'd miss most...and not until maintenance. Even then, I'd advise eating them in a version that you were unfamiliar with--millet, quinoa, spelt, boiled and served as a (small!) side dish. The more processed the grain, the worse--and for most people, gluten is part of the craving-bingeing problem.
All this time, you'd still be counting carbs and weighing/measuring--until you saw what your maintenance level of carbs was. It's a slow process--could take you a year to have a good idea of your best personal foods--but worth the trouble to do right.

Best of luck to you!