Old Fri, Feb-18-05, 01:13
Registered Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 200/190/134 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:
Default I Need Help!!!

Hi!!

My name is Rhonda and i just recently signed up to this beautiful forums! I have a ton of questions.

I have high blood pressure 150/100 taking 2 pills for it. Now it reads like 130/80 but would like to stop taking all of these pills. My fasting blood sugar is 99.

My Cholesterol is like this TC is 162 my HDL is 42 and my LDL is 78 as my VLDL is 40. My Triglycerides is 204.

Now i want to go on the atkins diet to im prove my HDL and lower my triglycerides. And lower my blood pressure and get my blood sugar level down more.

But....I also have read upon the Pritikin diet and the Dean ornish. Which is like 70% carbs! But its like good carbs that dont make your blood sugar spike up like a damn machine!!

So which one is better the low fat/high carb or the high fat/low carb?

I mean If you go to www.pritikin.com you go to success stories and you read upon many saying that their cholesterols went low and their blood pressures were perfect! SOunds like a dream come true! But i need MEAT LOL!

Thats why i want the atkins. Cause i cant give up meat us southern people ill tell ya that we need meat!

So which one should i choose? Atkins or Pritikin/Ornish?

I mean the pros and cons are

Atkins Pros: Lovely food, never hungry, lower tryglycerides.
Cons: Raises cholesterol too much, bad breath, some mood swings?

Pritikin/Ornish Pros: Fruits and Veggies! Good success stories
Cons: Hard to stay on, dry skin, no MEAT!

Now with Cholesterol Ornish has stated in his book that in his diet your HDL goes down but your LDL goes down even further! he had this anology that HDL is the garbage trucks and the LDL is the garbage so with low LDL less garbage trucks!

I have read many people complain about their cholesterol going sky high on the atkins diet!! I dont want that! But i want to give the atkins a try.

So my questions are:

I have read people here bashing Ornish and Pritikin saying that it is bad for you....WHy is it bad for you? Can i get some more info on that?

If Pritikin and Ornish dont work how come on their websites there is people saying their success stories??

Did Atkins really die of his own diet? What was the cause of death?

And finally which one should i really choose!?? Atkins or Pritikin/Ornish? I want Opinions and maybe your opinions can help me out!!

Thank you lovely people take care!

Rhonda
Down south chik!
Sponsored Links