View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Mar-09-02, 16:18

Plan: PPLP (Intervention) Dilettante
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 0%
Talking I work at Canadian Blood Services

So, let me tackle these questions for you. I must say up front that I am not one of the clinic staff, I'm the office admin. but I can answer your questions. I'm also a blood donor, of course!!

You absolutely can give blood on this WOE. Remember these key things:

It is very important to be well fed and well hydrated. Have a hearty breakfast, and if possible, make your appointment for after lunch as well.

Drink lots of water, and if you are still drinking coffee avoid caffeine as much as possible that day. Being dehydrated may cause you to feel light headed and even faint. If you faint more than once or twice, they will permanently defer you from donating for your own safety.

Take your own snack with you for afterward. You can bring whatever you like. Just ask one of the volunteers in the refreshment are to put it in the fridge for you. They will be more than happy to help you. There should be some decaf coffee and there is always water.

If at any time during the donation process you are not feeling well, you can always end the donation. You don't have to finish it.

If you have any medical concerns at all, you can always call and speak to a nurse at the same number you use to book your appointment. Simply ask to speak to the Donor Information Nurse and she (or he) will answer any questions you may have. If she doesn't know the answer, she'll find out and get back to you. The number in BC is 1-888-236-6283. That number may work for the rest of Canada as well, I'm not sure tho.

That's the technical answer out of the way. Now, a couple of the nurses and I have a theory about donating. We figure that it will actually help you lose weight because your body will be burning more calories while it's replacing the blood! I like that idea!!!

It's a great thing to do, and Sailfish, if you make an appointment your in and out in about 45 minutes. No more excuses!!

What a coincidence that I saw this thread! I wonder if I can claim overtime for this?