Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%
Default CKD Miscellaneous

Carb up meals for the future:
split pea soup w/carrots,celery,potatoes and brown bread
apricot glazed turkey legs w/mushroom noodle rice
From a post by LunaHotel, ~~~~~~.com:
Cardio is a physical activity specifically geared for training the heart and circulatory system. Normally, cardio is not completely aerobic because the only way to train the circulatory system is to exercise at such an intensity that the oxygen required for that activity IS GREATER THAN THE CURRENT oxygen-carrying capacity of your heart/lungs, and this requires in turn that your heart must beat fast, and your lungs must breathe fast. The word "cardio" comes from: "heart" as in "cardiac arrest". HIIT most definitely is cardio. For some, such as I, weights are also cardio because I design my workouts that way. My heart rate gets to 180 for 20 1-minute intervals, which is kinda HIIT and weights all rolled into one.

Aerobics are physical activities geared towards burning fat, as fat-burning is the only REASON to do aerobics. Your muscles don't get stronger, and your heart and circulatory systems aren't being significantly trained, either, because THE OXYGEN USED IS WELL WITHIN THE LIMITS of your cardiovascular system. Thus, aerobics are low-intensity and SHOULD NOT BE CONFUSED WITH CARDIO.

Now, what you hear mostly, is that the word "cardio" is used to describe aerobics and the word "aerobic" is often used to describe cardiovascular training. I know, I know, I know, it's not easy. But it's that way. Go figure.

Now, half the posts in this thread misuse and confuse cardio and aerobics whereas the difference between the two is simply huge. If you reread everthing posted here, substituting "cardio" for "aerobics" here and there and vice-versa, every single post in here MAKES SENSE!!! icon_eek.gif icon_biggrin.gif

OK so, to burn fat you will apply sound CKD dieting principles. Eat good meat. Don't go for the hamburger, go lamb thigh instead, if you know what I mean. You will also either do weights, cardio or aerobics, or more likely, all of them.

If you will do aerobics, which you already do all day, you will need to stay on the treadmill for a GOOD LONG WHILE. In all probability, you will go a little too hard, because you want your goals, because you don't have that much time, because it's more fun that way, whatever. Well, doing aerobics is catabolic, and yes that means that there is almost no way you can do aerobics and burn only fat and no muscle. On a CKD it is reduced compared to a carb-based diet, though.

One note of caution : exercising at anything above moderate intensity for more than 40 minutes will cause the body to release cortisol, the king of catabolic hormones, which eats up muscle and kills protein synthesis. Cortisol is what you want to avoid.

You will do weights, which will raise your metabolic rate higher, which burns fat. That is where you will make most of your gains anyway. NOT during the workout, but in the hours and days afterwards, while your muscles are repairing. Lift heavy, that will create more muscle tear and yes, pain, and thus more fat burning. You aren't seriously concerned about a specific amount of muscle MASS at this point. Strength is important, and FAT BURNING is your main focus at this point. The strength will be VERY useful later for building mass or simply shaping your body once a good part of the fat is off.

Cardio? HIIT is GREAT because it raises your growth hormone levels. GH is slightly anabolic, ESPECIALLY for the skin and it also helps burn fat. I haven't found research on specifics of skin-GH relationship, but everyone taking GH or GH releasers reports how much better their skin seems and stretches while "on" and natural GH, which decreases with age, is by FAR the single most important determinant of skin elasticity.

Skin elasticity is a phenomenon that is due mainly to ONE PROTEIN in the skin : collagen. I'm not saying eat collagen. Given the proper conditions, your body will synthesize plenty of collagen. What are these conditions? Well, the conditions for the synthesis of collagen are the conditions for the synthesis of protein. This means avoid excess catabolism. Avoid training for too long. Avoid too low calorie count. Avoid too low protein count.
Fructose
Ok the purpose of the fructose before your depletion workout is to deliberately kick you out of ketosis and into a carb burning state. This will then make you run on glycogen during your workout removing most of whatever glycogen you have left, which will let your body supercompensate during the carb up.
Another great post re:cardio:
Just how does SLOW cardio actually bypass the carbs and get to the SECOND source of energy (FAT)? EASY, in laymen terms... after a few minutes of doing consistent but slow paced cardio, the body will automatically switch over to the fat stores for energy, sparing the carbs. WHY? Because your not working at a high enough level that the body needs to use it's #1 source of energy (carbs), but it has to give you something to utilize for fuel... that "something" is FAT!

This can only be achieved by getting to the fat burning stage... It's generally after about 10-15 minutes of cardio. (Depending on a million factors!) Some will get there a few minutes faster, some a little slower. This is why we do anywhere from 30 min to 1 hour of cardio. Variables being your conditioning, how close you are to the show, set point metabolism, etc...

Just how slow to go? I personally use the treadmill at about a 3.0 MPH pace, and the stationary bike at about 65 RPM. Remember the faster you go, the harder you work, the more CARBS will be used for fuel!

Lets assume that your in the 45 minute to 1 hour category and you still have a lot of body fat to lose. Can you exceed the 1 hour mark to burn even MORE fat? The answer is NO. Why? It seems like everything else pertaining to your bodies ability to conserve and store… that what actually happens in the post hour point, is that your body once again becomes aware that your going to extremes and attempts to conserve... this time the FAT.

Once your body has gotten to this point it goes to it's only source of energy left. PROTEIN! When this happens your basically burning MUSCLE for fuel. Ever notice how many long distance runners although being skinny, seem to be soft? Fat is a great source of SLOW long burning fuel for the body (why do you think animals store FAT for their winter hibernation?)

Taken out of Bob Cicherillo's article on cardio. He's been using this method to cut for competitions since the early 80's I think, and its used by most pro's. If anyone's seen Ronnie Colemans video, this is the type of cardio he does on his treadmill in his room.

Some people will recommend you to do this cardio first thing in the morning to ensure fat loss. People on ckd will burn fat anyway (since thats what they burn all day long), but if its done not first thing in the morning the fat burned will come from food as well. Another trick is to take coffee 30 minutes before cardio because it has been proven that more fat is burned this way. I know it is not allowed because it makes you crave sugar, but Ive been using it and I have not craved at all. If you think you can manage it then I recommend it.
another: (Chimponarope)
Getting into ketoss all comes down to getting the liver depleted. A decent length of gentle cardio the day after carb up should do it.

There really is no need to do cardio on an empty stomach on keto, carb based dieters do it to prevent the body burning the carbs they've just ingested at breakfast before turning to fat, we as keto dieters are usually in a pretty glycogen depleted state and are already burning fat. Plus the digestion time for most fats will mean that what you eat at breakfast won't usually be supplying energy for your cardio. So eat up and get out of the catabolic state that is sleep (from a food point of view anyway)