View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-11-05, 08:53
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 280/165/165 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't recommend supplements without seeing test results. The tests I usually do for adrenal fatigue include hair mineral analysis testing and saliva tests done throughout the course of a day to see what cortisol is doing during the day. Usually coritsol levels will be quite low in the morning and will rise throughout the day. (That is usually with adrenal fatigue) But if you've had something recommended by a qualified doctor/consultant, I'd begin doing that again.

One thing I'd definitely recommend is to eat breakfast. Eat within one hour of waking and make sure a good source of protein is included... which should go ithout saying as you are already doing low carb.

Of extreme importance in dealing with adrenal problems is to take stress off the gland so they can heal. The best way to do this is to eat something protein every two-three hours. The reason for this is the adrenals are responsible for, among other functions, the regulation of blood sugar levels in between meals. By eating something every two to three hours, and it doesn;t have to be much... a few almonds would do it, it takes the blood sugar balancing responsibilities off the glands. This really speeds progress.

It is important that as your energy levels start to improve, you don't overtax yourself. Think of your energy levels as a bank account. You have depleted your savings. You must allow your energy to build back up.

Do exercise, but don't do aggresive exercises. Walking, swimming, light aerobics is about all you can handle without setbacks in the early stages of healing.

Don't skip any meals or eat carbs alone. (once again, should not be an issue doing low carb.)

Use sea salt liberally with your foods. It is a medical myth that salt causes high blood pressure and other heart problems. Salt depleted diets contribute to both adrenal fatigue and dehydration. (Where salt goes, so goes water) The most common symptoms of dehydration are fatigue, headaches, and flu-like feelings.

The sea salt protocol I use is upon rising, put 1/8 a tsp of sea salt in a glass and mix with water and drink... or... put a large pinch of salt on your tongue and chase with water. Repeat mid-morning and mid-afternoon as needed.

How do you know if its needed? The guideline is salt or salt water will taste good if your need the salt, it will make you feel nauseous if you don't. You can trust your body to guide you in this. Salt cravings are accurate cravings - feed them.

Some people note an increase in energy within ten minutes of drinking their salt solution.

Obviously, there are a couple of health conditions where you would not want to follow this salt advice and they include kidney disease and Congestive Heart Disease as the salt will increase body fluid levels.

If you notice any water retention in the beginning, adjust the amount of salt you are taking until you find the dose that causes no retention.

A great book on this is called "Your Bodies Many Cries For Water," by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.

Sea salt tastes just like commercial salt. The difference is commercial salt has been refined to remove the trace minerals. (This is then sold to supplement companies, tableted, and sold back to you as trace mineral supplements.) So you get your trace mineral from Sea Salt. Sea salt is available at most health food stores. The best I've found is Celtic Sea Salt - 800-867-7258 (And in case anyone is wondering, no, I'm not affiliated with this company.)

Hope this gets you off to a good start.