#5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-07-02, 18:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default more thoughts

sorry starlite, but I am with astinson on this. we have "learned" a lot of propaganda over the years on the low fat way of eating, it used to be four basic food groups..(that was "right" then the pryamid..now that's "right") and yes, it probably is right for some, but good solid reasearch has shown that low carb is the better way for most diabetics. they find that cholesteral is lowered, weight is lost and medications can even be lowered. a "regular" diabetic diet DOES control carbs. a serving is generally recognised at being 15 grams of carbs, a diabetic must count each carb and use that information to calculate exchanges or servings. my DH needs approx 3000 calories a day with no more than 6 carb servings a day 6 times 15 is 90 carbs. now, they also recommend 3-5 veggie servings, 1-2 milks and 3-6 protein servings etc. with the veggie /milk servings that brought the carbs to well over 300 a day. (by the way, a potato, corn, carrots were all considered a starch, not a veggie...guess why?) by simply switching to low carb veggies, and including them in his carb count we were able to lower his total intake to approx 100 a day. at this level he has lost weight, maintained a more even blood sugar level, and has experienced more energy. some diabetic recipes use as much as a tsp of sugar per serving as acceptable, or even chocolate chips etc, while the carb count may be seem reasonable, they forget to mention this can trigger a reaction and will spike sugar levels.
I respect the fact that you have discussed this with a nutritionist and feel she has sound educational information, but they only know what they are taught, and that is the same propaganda we were all taught, fat is bad. while they neglect to mention refined carbs like sugar causes terrible symptoms in children such as learning and behavorial problems, addiction, interupted sleep patterns as well as obesity. you don't eat a piece of cake because of the butter and eggs, we don't eat it because of the carbs, when compared honestly the 2 diets are not so different, they simply approach the issue from different angles. anything in excess is bad, or can be. I know you will keep an open mind and do what is right for you, I am not trying to convert anyone to low carb but low carb as a mainstream way of eatingis not the evil it is projected as, no matter what you may have been told.
Best Jane