#14   ^
Old Wed, Feb-09-05, 15:55

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunspine17
My DH has been without his for nearly 3 years and he's 100% fine. No one said anything to him about bile salts.

Ditto here. I've been without a gallbladder for 11 years and no problems whatsoever. Incidentally, I had to have mine removed after a prolonged period of very low fat dieting and it was loaded with stones.
The liver manufactures the bile and the gallbladder stores it until needed. When the gallbladder is removed, the bile produced by the liver drains directly into the intestines all the time at a slow trickle. For some, this causes a problem with diarrhea and anal irritation but the majority (90%) don't have any particular problems afterwards and never really notice any difference.
Some people find that certain foods pose a problem digestively after having their gallbladders removed (my problem foods are raw peppers and popcorn which cause me a lot of gas). Easily solved...avoid those foods or be willing to pay the price for eating them (or inflict that price on all those around you ). Before I had my gallbladder removed, I'd heard all the stories about how people who have that procedure can never eat certain foods again. When I asked my surgeon about it, he simply shrugged and said, "If it bothers you, don't eat it. Otherwise, eat whatever you please. There is no 'list' of foods to avoid since if varies widely from person to person and some people don't have any problems at all."
I did have one interesting side effect that my surgeon said he'd never seen before. When I went back 6 weeks after the procedure for my post-surgical checkup, I was pregnant with my oldest daughter...near as we can figure, I got pregnant about 10 days to 2 weeks after surgery.