Old Tue, Mar-05-02, 16:08

Plan: Atkins --> South Beach
Stats: 219/214.5/165 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%
Default confused about workout

Trainerdan, and everyone:

After reading this thread, I still have two basic questions:

1. To lose weight, shouldn't I be doing cardio at least 5 times a week, even on days when I do resistance training as well?

2. Is there any truth to the notion that, with respect to heart rate, there’s a “fat burning” or “training” range which one should work to for an optimal cardio or weight loss workout?

I’ve never really been in fabulous shape, and I’ve recently recommitted myself to exercising, which I had only been doing intermittently. I am working out 5 days on and 1 day off on the following routine: (keep in mind, this is all done with step aerobics, 3.3 lb weights, and videos – hey, this single mom’s gotta workout at home before the kids wake up or never!)

Days 1, 3 and 5: 26 minutes of cardio, 25 minutes of free weights (working everything)
Days 2 and 4: 26 minutes of cardio
Day 6: rest
Repeat from Day 1

I have over 30 pounds to lose, and lots of muscle tone to gain, so I’m wondering if I’d be seeing better results if I changed this routine to do weights and cardio on different days. I’ve been at this for about one month, and I feel good, but still wearing the same clothes.

Regarding my second question, I’ve read so many differing views on how “hard” to work out during cardio for optimal fat burning. I recently bought a heart rate monitor, but my heart rate varies so much during cardio, I’m not sure how to take this. (It gives me an average at the end of the workout.) What is my goal? To have a higher rate or a lower one? If I feel really wiped out during the step routine, I simply keep moving in place and rejoin the video a few moves later. I figure it’s better to keep moving longer, than to quit altogether.

I’d appreciate any feedback.

Thanks ...
Rhu