View Single Post
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-04-02, 00:06

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Certainly everything I say must be interepretted with the assumption that you are working with your doctor's knowledge and consent. But this is the way I would probably approach it.

Keep LC'ing for at least a month the way you are with restricting your sodium. Then get a new baseline BP after perhaps having your meds adjusted. Then keep LC'ing but add in sodium a few hundred mg a week and keep monitoring your blood pressue to see if and when you see a rise.

Alternatively, you could do the same thing now. Go ahead and start bringing in the sodium-rich foods gradually and just keep monitoring your BP for changes.

I have found that my sodium intake came way down on average compared to pre-LC eating but, as you pointed out, some things really could shoot it up quick. But bacon wasn't really one of them - I can have four strips of bacon for breakfast and, if I avoid the pepperoni and beef franks and the like, I can still easily keep my daily sodium under 2000mg. But if I don't avoid those I can easily hit 5000mg.

But I have also found that the sodium doesn't appear to affect my BP too much which has come down from 135/85 to 110/75. I definitely see a water retention effect with sodium and I may be seeing some BP effect, but it is minor and very tolerable.

Best of luck - let us know how things progress. Especially if you are able to cut back or get off your meds - that is always a major triumph.