View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 12:14

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

welcome sally, and let me start by saying how wonderful your success to date has been! yay for you for sticking to it, realizing weighing every day was doing you no good, and yay to your doc for suggesting you get off the sugars and grains.

Some people--usually men, those with little to lose, those who didn't get overweight until adulthood--can "low carb" by just eliminating potatoes, sugar, and grains, and lose quickly. There are a number of widely varying plans, including Neanderthin/paleodiet, which doesn't count carbs at all, but eliminates all foods introduced into the human diet after 20,000 years ago--meaning no dairy, grains, legumes, additives, sugar, but fruit and honey are okay for the paleo folks. Again, many people have followed that advice and lost a whole lot! Others would not lose because of the carbs in fruit and honey. So, to your question...anything under 100 g would, I suppose, be "low carb" though many people on this board eat under 50 g/day.

Since you've been so successful with the way you are eating, I'd suggest rather than jumping to another plan, trying these "tweaks" first to see if they work.

Add weightlifting to your life if you haven't already--your clothes will get looser even if the scale doesn't move

Eliminate any processed meats you've been eating (bacon, sausage, hot dogs)

Limit fruits to berries, and those only a couple times a week

Eliminate any artificial sweeteners from your diet

If all that fails, try eliminating cheese, milk and cream. Many folks are sensitive to dairy and can get stalled by it.

And finally, check your calorie intake. If you've been too low (under 1300 is especially bad), your body may be in "starvation mode," hanging on to every molecule of fat, assuming there's a serious food shortage that you're trying to live through. 1600-1800 would probably be optimal calories for you to eat right now and still lose--maybe more if you do a lot of exercise.

HTH!